Welcome, Guest
Interesting blog: exploiting Dolphin
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Interesting blog: exploiting Dolphin

Interesting blog: exploiting Dolphin 7 years, 5 months ago #4293

dougallj.wordpress.com/2016/11/13/exploiting-dolphin-part-1/

Dolphin is a Wii emulator, and a consistent source of interesting technical problems. In the interests of learning more about Dolphin, Wii, PowerPC, and exploitation, I discovered a handful of bugs, and created an ISO file that can run arbitrary code on the host, portably and reliably.

Interesting stuff going on here. And a good reminder: don't randomly trust game images to be safe to run on your computer.

Re: Interesting blog: exploiting Dolphin 7 years, 5 months ago #4294

Wow, that's pretty crazy. Has something like this been done with a non-HLE emulator before?

Re: Interesting blog: exploiting Dolphin 7 years, 5 months ago #4295

So in non-geek/lamen's terms, what does all that mean? Dolphin can f*** up your computer? I mostly use OpenEmu, I only have 1 game in my Dolphin folder, but I don't play Dolphin as much as I do Openemu, for older system emulation.

Re: Interesting blog: exploiting Dolphin 7 years, 5 months ago #4296

Thundar wrote:
So in non-geek/lamen's terms, what does all that mean? Dolphin can f*** up your computer? I mostly use OpenEmu, I only have 1 game in my Dolphin folder, but I don't play Dolphin as much as I do Openemu, for older system emulation.
It means that a (malicious) game running within Dolphin could break out of Dolphin and run code right on your Mac.

Re: Interesting blog: exploiting Dolphin 7 years, 4 months ago #4299

Oh that's just peachy. (sarcastic tone)

Re: Interesting blog: exploiting Dolphin 7 years, 4 months ago #4300

If I were going to do something here, I think I'd write a homebrew version of BreakOut that starts off inside Dolphin, and then moves the gameplay out to the host OS

Re: Interesting blog: exploiting Dolphin 7 years, 4 months ago #4301

_Em wrote:
If I were going to do something here, I think I'd write a homebrew version of BreakOut that starts off inside Dolphin, and then moves the gameplay out to the host OS

And then have it print out the spot that the ball hit on paper via your printer every time it hits

Re: Interesting blog: exploiting Dolphin 7 years, 2 months ago #4317

larger problem may be e.g. going after a wonderswan ROM and having the site glibly give me a .pkg file instead of a .ws/.wsc. Nope nopeity nope nope nope

Time to create page: 0.14 seconds