• Basilisk II (Mac IIci):
  • Mac System 7.0.1• (aka Blue)
    Mac System 7.1.2 (aka Jirocho)
    Mac System 7.5.5 (aka Mozart)
    Mac OS 7.6.1 (aka Harmony)

• Basilisk II (Mac Quadra):
  • Mac OS 8.1 (aka Tempo)

• SheepShaver:
  • Mac OS 8.6 (aka Veronica [should have been Swing])
    Mac OS 9.0.4 (aka Sonata)

• VirtualBox:
  • Apple Rhapsody 5.1DR2

• PearPC (inside Wineskin):
  • Mac OS X 10.1 (Puma)
    Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)
    Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)
    Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger PPC)

• VirtualBox:
    Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger Intel)
    Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
    Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
    Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)

Still need to figure out Mac OS 9.2.2, Copeland, OS X PB, OS X 10.0 -- I'm thinking of attempting to run them via Mac-on-Mac inside Mac OS X 10.3 inside PearPC -- this *should* work.

Re:My Mac OS project 12 years, 6 months ago #2541

It doesn't quite match up with your quest, but MESS (the Windows build, anyhow) will soon let you run A/UX in an emulator.

Quoting the dev:

"Up next: A/UX (our MMU emulation boots NetBSD and DomainOS Unix on other drivers now, so it oughta be tough enough), keyboard/mouse for Egret systems and PowerBooks, Ethernet, and Quadras."

Just so you know...

Re: My Mac OS project 12 years, 6 months ago #2543

Very impressive.

Do they all run smoothly? Or are a few of them slow and stuttering (or, in the case of System 1 and the early OS X versions, more so than on the original hardware being emulated)?

Re: My Mac OS project 12 years, 6 months ago #2544

mossy_11 wrote:
    Very impressive.

Do they all run smoothly? Or are a few of them slow and stuttering (or, in the case of System 1 and the early OS X versions, more so than on the original hardware being emulated)?

Most of them run smooth-ish, even all at the same time. However, I can only have two VirtualBox guests running at the same time before the entire system slows to a crawl, and OS 9 is about as fast as it was on my not top-of-the-line hardware back in the day.

System 1 through 8.6 is significantly snappier than I remember it being on actual hardware -- for a number of years, I actually ran my 8.1 image on an AMD box because my old 8.1 Photoshop and Word were significantly faster than running a recent Photoshop and Word on Windows -- and they got the job done more efficiently in some cases.

Stuttering is pretty much non-existent in graphics, but there is some audio stuttering on some systems, especially during the boot chime.

Once I've tweaked things some more, I'll post a youtube video so everyone can see for themselves

I've also packaged each OS instance as its own self-contained package, so each OS is truly a portable app. I believe I posted something about this on here a year or so back when I started this project

[edit] Here it is: macscene.net/component/kunena/75-emulati...ow-leopard.html#1794
    Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by _Em.

Re:My Mac OS project 12 years, 6 months ago #2546

Very nice setup here.

I never knew how to update System 7.1, so I decided to take a look after viewing your screenshot. Turns out, Apple called it "System Update 3.0". If only I knew about it, I would have updated my System 7.1 machine back in the day. Ah, good times...

Thanks for the nostalgia trip!

Re:My Mac OS project 12 years, 6 months ago #2547

And meanwhile, please do let us know if you get mac-on-mac working in PearPC. I've tried... but it brings down PearPC every time.

Re:My Mac OS project 12 years, 6 months ago #2548

No luck yet, but I've got a better photo, and done some usability tests. All the OSes seen are running smoothly at the same time!
    I just have a bug where I can only have one BII open at a time for some reason, and a bit more cleanup to do. Then I'll youtube a video of the whole thing in action....

Re:My Mac OS project 12 years, 6 months ago #2549

Any chance you could send instructions. In the mood to get my Diablo 2 fix, but Lion no longer supports Rosetta...

Re:My Mac OS project 12 years, 6 months ago #2550

menace690 wrote:
    Any chance you could send instructions. In the mood to get my Diablo 2 fix, but Lion no longer supports Rosetta...

I'll do what I can... it's a bit of a convoluted process for some of them.
    Do you have a specific OS you want to get running?

Intel versions of OS X are a case of starting up VirtualBox, creating an "OS X Server" environment, then booting with a blank 6GB+ disk image and your install DVD. Complete the installation as if it were an actual computer.

Because of issues with SDL and Lion, I've actually used Wineskin Winery and the Windows versions of Basilisk II, SheepShaver and PearPC to do the 32-bit clean 68k, old-world PPC and new-world PPC emulation. I've also compiled custom versions of Mini vMac for the earlier stuff (it's not too hard).

Re:My Mac OS project 12 years, 6 months ago #2551

My guess is Pear PC running 9.1 or 10.X would be my best bet

Re:My Mac OS project 12 years, 6 months ago #2552

Note, menace690, that PearPC only does 10.1 thru 10.4... and doesn't support sound.

SheepShaver will run Mac OS 9. This guy said that he was able to get Diablo II running in SheepShaver... but didn't leave many details:

www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?...amp;highlight=diablo

Re:My Mac OS project 12 years, 6 months ago #2553

I haven't got 9.1 to run yet; your options are 9.0.4 and 10.1+... 9.0.4 runs under SheepShaver, and 10.1 - 10.4 run under PearPC.

I've stripped out my working image, but uncompressing the compressed image in here (macosx_6gb.rar) and tossing in an install image (including changing the file at Contents/Resources/drive_c/pearpc/ppc.cfg) should get you what you want.

dl.dropbox.com/u/8146450/%282006%29%20Ma...2010.4.6%20Tiger.zip

Re:My Mac OS project 12 years, 6 months ago #2554

OK: I think I've got myself a way to get 9.1 through 10.0: archlinuxppc in pearpc, with MoL (MacOnLinux) running inside. I'll let you know how it goes... I tried MacOnMac already, but haven't had any luck getting it to actually boot anything. Since the project is dead, but is rolled into MacOnLinux which is still alive, I'm hoping bugs are fixed.

Re:My Mac OS project 12 years, 6 months ago #2555

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

You have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands....

Re:My Mac OS project 12 years, 6 months ago #2556

I love this project.
    I started to write a GUI for Basilisk/SheepShaver
    nothing working at the momemt, have too little time.

I love to emulate Mac OS 7 to 9 for all the games I played back then, which aren't available in DOS/Win or just suck in their versions like Wolfenstein 3D.

Re:My Mac OS project 12 years, 6 months ago #2569

Squishy Tia wrote:
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

You have waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on your hands....

Ha; I wish. This project has taken over a year to get off the ground, because any time I spend on it I have to steal from my regular 6 hours of sleep

Anyway, archlinux was a wash, as PearPC can't emulate what the 2.6 kernel needs to boot
    Going back to running it under 10.3, but have been having some secondary disk issues. Maybe I'll get that sorted tomorrow night
    I'll probably skip 9.1 and just install 10.0.4 and 9.2.2, assuming I can get MoM to behave under 10.3.9 PearPC.

If anyone has questions / wants some prebuilt frameworks, let me know. I'm using the Windows versions of BII/SheepShaver/PearPC because they have JIT optimisation, and so are actually faster under WINE than compiling and running the code native under Lion
    They do have networking and keybinding bugs that I haven't sorted out yet, however.

Re:My Mac OS project 12 years, 6 months ago #2601

Just a note, at the E-Maculation forums we have versions of Basilisk II and SheepShaver compiled for Lion without the SDL fullscreen problems. Thanks really should go mostly to Ryan 'icculus' Gordon for his many SDL fixes, he is the god of Mac and Linux porting.

Let us know if you ever get 9.1 / 9.2 / 10.0 working, that would be exciting!

Re:My Mac OS project 10 years, 11 months ago #3727

vasi wrote:

Let us know if you ever get 9.1 / 9.2 / 10.0 working, that would be exciting!

I'm not dead yet

Finally got some more time to allocate to working on this stuff. I've got System 9.0.4 working with Finder 9.2.2 now It's a hack, but hey... it brings most of the goodies from 9.2.2 with it.

Also going back to work on getting the real 9.2.2 and 10.0.4 working; QEmu's had a number of updates in the last two years that mean I might actually be able to get a serviceable PPC 970 going on it (which may possibly mean 9.2.2 and 10.0.4 will boot!). We'll see....

I'm also going to attempt to merge this project with my one from, hmm... around 10 years ago now, and create "this is the setup people would remember from that era" boots, where the system boots up with the software commonly found on people's Macs at that time. Won't be able to share the images for obvious reasons, but I'll try to document it all so others can re-create it, and provide screenshots/vids

Oh, and if anyone's found a way of doing this already, please save me hours of pain!

On another note, E-Maculation now has a link to a friendly version of SheepShaver that automates pretty much everything I've done to it by hand. You just drop your ROM image and an install CD image on it, and it does the rest for you, resulting in a single bundle that will run the OS you choose on the ROM you choose. Pretty neat!

Re:My Mac OS project 10 years, 11 months ago #3728

And also... if anyone wants to make suggestions for OS/Application combos they fondly remember, please post them

For instance: I've got fond memories of playing Beyond Dark Castle on System 7.1, and fond memories of using SuperPaint and DMCS Music Construction Kit on System 6.0.8

Re:My Mac OS project 10 years, 11 months ago #3729

When you get to OS 8 I would say I had MacAmp Mini or something like that. It was a tiny MP3 player that docked in the upper right corner with some controls that popped out when you clicked it. MacAst? Can't really remember. But OS 9 I definitely switched to Audion, which is still available for download it seems.

I still miss Audion and its skins. I use Bowtie now, but it's not even close to being the same.

Time to create page: 0.24 seconds