Welcome, Guest
FCEUX NES emulator on OS X
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: FCEUX NES emulator on OS X

FCEUX NES emulator on OS X 12 years, 8 months ago #2419

fceux.png

FCEUX is a solid NES emulator, and today I found out that it builds pretty well on OS X. (It requires X11 or Xquartz.) I'll be posting the latest builds, but it's pretty easy to get up and running using Homebrew:

1. Install Homebrew (requires you to install the OS X developer tools)
  2. Run the following in Terminal:
    brew install http://xannode.com/fceux.rb

For MacPorts or Fink, I think you only need SDL and libz. I couldn't get the latest release to build, but the latest SVN worked fine.

Double-clicking the fceux binary worked for me, and you can package it by throwing it in FCEUX.app/Contents/MacOS (you'll need to make these folders).

I just thought I'd spread the word! It's not Mac-native like Macifom, but it's another option for NES emulation on the Mac.
Last Edit: 12 years, 8 months ago by ConsoleEmu.

Re: FCEUX NES emulator on OS X 12 years, 8 months ago #2421

Just curious, is there anything fceux does that other NES emulators on the Mac don't?

Re: FCEUX NES emulator on OS X 12 years, 8 months ago #2422

I'm kind of wondering this myself, as NEStopia seems to be king of the hill in terms of accuracy (but obviously not speed depending on your system specs).

Re: FCEUX NES emulator on OS X 12 years, 8 months ago #2423

I've used FCEUX in the past to play game replays. I always wanted to make it run full screen on the desktop so I could have live desktops of video game replays. Actually played with the code a bit a few years ago, but never got anywhere.

Re: FCEUX NES emulator on OS X 12 years, 8 months ago #2424

MetalDragon wrote:
Just curious, is there anything fceux does that other NES emulators on the Mac don't?

I haven't used NES emulators much since Final Fantasy I & II came out for iOS, so I'm not positive.

Like Niemann said, making and playing game replays is a pretty cool feature. FCEUX has out-of-the-box netplay, full screen mode, and gamepad support (Richard Bannister's Nestopia requires his shareware emulator enhancer for these). It's got Game Genie support, too.

I haven't tested most of these features to see if they're working; I was mostly pleased that another emulator works for OS X.

Re: FCEUX NES emulator on OS X 12 years, 8 months ago #2425

So there is no good reason to use fceux instead of macifom besides replay?

Re: FCEUX NES emulator on OS X 12 years, 8 months ago #2426

For you, maybe not. FCEUX has support for custom resolutions and texture smoothing, which some people might like. At the end of the day, though, they both play NES games, so use whichever suits you.

Re: FCEUX NES emulator on OS X 12 years, 8 months ago #2427

What do you mean by "texture smoothing"? Do you mean video filters? Because last time I checked, the NES wasn't capable of 3D graphics.

Re: FCEUX NES emulator on OS X 12 years, 8 months ago #2428

Well, you got me there! I just mean that it can smooth the graphics so they appear less pixellated.

Re: FCEUX NES emulator on OS X 12 years, 8 months ago #2429

On a side note, Super Glove Ball was pretty close to 3D graphics, and pretty close to awesome, too. I wonder if any emulators with the Power Glove--that would be very cool.
Last Edit: 12 years, 8 months ago by ConsoleEmu.

Re: FCEUX NES emulator on OS X 12 years, 8 months ago #2430

Squirrel wrote:
What do you mean by "texture smoothing"? Do you mean video filters? Because last time I checked, the NES wasn't capable of 3D graphics.

That would be OpenGL mode. OGL can do custom filters, bi/tri-linear filtering, MSAA, FSAA, funky TV modes (like those used in RB's emulators with EE enabled).

I actually prefer no smoothing, but simple nearest neighbor scaling because I like authentic graphics (and text is crisp and clear). That and blurring gives me a headache to end all headaches.

Re: FCEUX NES emulator on OS X 12 years, 8 months ago #2434

Has anyone compared FCEUX with MacFCEU, which is also a port of FCE Ultra?
Last Edit: 12 years, 8 months ago by mossy_11. Reason: fixed the link

Re: FCEUX NES emulator on OS X 12 years, 8 months ago #2437

I believe that MacFCEU is for people running the Mac OS classic environment. I sure couldn't get the binaries to work, and I haven't put any effort into getting the source compiled. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else did, though!

Re: FCEUX NES emulator on OS X 12 years, 8 months ago #2438

The System Requirements from the readme:
"MacFCEU 0.7a2 requires:
System 7.1 or later (7.5+ recommended)
An MC68040/MC68LC040 processor or greater
—— a 266MHz+ computer is necessary for real time performance;
333MHz+ for full, smooth performance, working speed features
2700KB of RAM (Largest Unused Block), preset to 3300KB/3000KB
—— Zip’d carts will require double the loading memory.
2MB of hard drive space
Sound playback requires Sound Manager 3.0+ (built in to Mac OS 7.5+)"

Re: FCEUX NES emulator on OS X 12 years, 7 months ago #2440

What the heck is with those requirements? The 68040 only went up to 40 MHz.
The PowerPC 601 went up to 120 MHz, so that wouldn't work either.
The PowerPC 603 went up to 300 MHz; that would get you "real time performance".
The PowerPC 604 went up to 350 MHz; finally getting that "full, smooth performance".

The more you know...

Re: FCEUX NES emulator on OS X 11 years, 5 months ago #3553

I've started compiling the latest builds of FCEUX. They require X11/XQuartz, and you can find them at consoleemu.com/emulator/fceux. The app bundle should include all the required dependencies, so it should work out of the box. Let me know if something's not working, and I'll do what I can to fix it!
Last Edit: 11 years, 5 months ago by ConsoleEmu. Reason: Added links

Time to create page: 0.20 seconds